An adventure is simply an inconvenience rightly considered.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

15 Days Until My Canadian Come-Back

So Much has happened since i Last updated this thing. best to start at the beginning.

I was adjusting to live at Sidsmums Hostel in Carcassonne. It looked like it was going to be a great opportunity. I'd be living in the south of France for two weeks. I'd get the chance to practice my french, improve on it before i returned to Canada to work the summer away. However life there took a change for the worse, which resulted in me deciding to return to England rather than stick out another week at Sidsmums.

Life there was great up until last Monday. On Sunday most of the guests at Sidsmums left to continue their travels. ALl the people who were left at the hostel were: myself, A dutch man named Harrow (the other volunteer), Jan, and a visiting English couple who were friends with Jan. This lack of new people made tlife at the hostel quite boring. After my 3 hours of work in the morning there was not much else to do other than sleep, read, or go for a hike. Carcassonne was too far away from where we were staying and the trips that jan makes there are for the guests and she generally went in the morning while there was work to be done. So this made for a borking atmosphere. As well, the other volunteer, Harrow, didn't help things as he was extrememly judgemental of me. He essentially made life at Sidsmums as awkward as possible. he had already been at the hostel for a month already, and very much thought of it has his home, his room (the volunteers were required to live together) On the Monday (13th June) we had a huge row about his dog. Apparently i had been interferring with the dogs training. Harrow accused me of comming to the hostel, making myself at home right away, being pushy, overbearing and essentially too "in-your-face". personally i didn't see myself being any of these things. I thought i was just being friendly and trying to fit in.
anyways, we had a huge row. I decided that i didn't need to put up with his shit. so i made up my mind to return to England. He wasn't the sole reason for returning earlier than i had anticipated.I was bored with Sidsmums and decided that i'd rather spend the last two weeks of my time in the UK with people i like, and like having me around rather than spend half that time with people who made it their mission to make sure i don't feel comfortable in my surroundings.
So i dished out the dough to return to England and hopped a plane the following Thursday.

I landed in Stanstead, spent a few hours there trying to plan my next move. I had texted Mark Steel the wednesday prior to my return and he was generous enough to let me crash at his flat until i had planned my next move. I spent all of Thursday afternoon in front of the television watching (trying to comprehend) a Cricket game.With the help of Mark's flatmate Greg, i managed to get a basic grasp of the game. it does seem interesting. It was England v. Bangladesh if anyone is interested.

On friday i caught a lift back to Lancaster with my friends Bryony and Ben. Their families live in London and luckily enough they were home for a visit the same time i was in London. So i caught a ride back to Lancaster with them. We were about halfway up the country before we realized that we had missed the junction from the M1 to the M6 (British Motorways). So we took the "scenic route" back to Lancaster. Passing by Nottingham, through Derby (pronounced Darby), and finally through Leek and Knutsford before we made our way to the M6 and made our way back to Lancaster.

So now i have been back at lancaster for almost a week and have been having the time of my life. But thats generally the way things go don't they? the end of the trip is always thepart you remember most. In any experience it is always the end you remember the most and look back upon most fondly. Practically every night this week i have been busy socializing, visiting with friends or getting drunk.

All good things must come to an end and i am prepared to say good-bye when the time comes. It will be hard for me, this i know, as i do tend to get too attached to people and places and experience really bad separation anxiety when everything is over and done with. But soon this life will end and i will resume my old one back in Canada, and improve on that one using the experience gained whilst abroad. I have changed, and I have stayed the same. I'm dreading going home, yet looking forward to it all the same. but this is not my good-bye post, not yet. so I will write no more,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home