An adventure is simply an inconvenience rightly considered.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Changes

Today is March 2nd. If i hadn't extended my stay in South Africa I'd probably be in Vancouver right now or even back home in Edmonton at this point. Its kind of weird to think that i could be back home right now. I'm glad I'm still in Africa, i was not prepared to leave the country just yet, and i would probably feel miserable and moody had i left prior to being ready to leave.
Things have been in transition all week. I was rushed to complete my two internship reports, which were due on Wednesday, I had to pack up and move out of my house, and just dealing with the stress of what-the-heck-am-i-going-to-be-doing-for-the-next-2-months has left my head reeling.

So I've got a rough plan of action for the next two months. This weekend I'm renting a car for the month of March. I am totally excited about it. I feel like a little kid that is anxiously awaiting buying that must have new toy! Though, my "new" toy is a5 year old Mazda 323, standard. Yes, thats right I'm renting a standard vehicle. Not only that, but i have to go to Joburg this weekend to pick it up, so on Sunday, may your prayers be with me as i: learn to drive a standard transmission, deal with driving on the left and try to navigate the streets of Johannesburg (one of the largest and most populous cities in the world).
The following weekend, I'm going on a road trip! to Durban. I'm going to complete my scuba diving course there, as well as party it up with more friends that I've kept in contact with from Tofo, Mozambique (Andile and Wandile, and Ayanda, as well as Uchi, might be in town then too!)

I'm going to be living in Pretoria, with my co-worker and friend James, until the 23rd of March. I'm staying in town because i have a paper that I've not completed as well as AWIRU's official launch and workshop (at which I'll be presenting my Water Harvesting paper) are on the 19th-21st and i want to be a part of that.

Then, After the 23rd, I'm, tentatively, moving out to White River to help out with a few projects there. I'll be there until i return to Canada in May.

There is, however, this issue of the opportunity to stay on for another 6 months working with Jaqui and EcoLink to create water harvesting projects and water management courses/workshops for an EcoLink project. I'm currently exploring avenues for funding, but am waiting on Jaqui to give me the info i need in order to complete the applications. This is something that I'm willing to go for, but I'm getting a little bit discouraged. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Until then I'd better get this poverty nodes paper written.

I'm going to a drumming circle tonight with some friends. should be fun.
I'll post pictures of my weekend, and my driving, on Monday.
Rob.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Hey Rob,

Off to Brazil TODAY! woohoo! I'll try to post some stuff on my blog when I get home! Maybe it'll be less boring then!

Luv ya

7:05 AM

 
Blogger partieweirdo said...

so, did you at least enjoy the drumming circle?

4:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home