An adventure is simply an inconvenience rightly considered.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Pictures for those who are in Africa withdrawl

Hey,
so i know I've been slacking off this last little while, with no posts and lack of photos from my sojourn through southern Africa from over a month ago. Work has been crazy busy and will continue to be so until the end of February. this is mainly due to the fact that I'm stealing time from work to go out and travel. as a result I'm forced to get all my work done in my spare time, so that i can have a few extra days to say...go to Johannesburg this weekend, EcoLink on Monday and Tuesday, and then to Cape Town for the rest of the week.
then it'll be back home for more work, work, work as i have a paper that is due on the 15th of Feb. Eeps, i guess I'd better get started.
Anyways, here are some pics from my recent trip to the Hartbeespoort Dam and Pilanesburg just north of Pretoria, from last weekend.
Cheers!
Rob

A Giraffe bending down to take a drink from a pool of water.


Sunsetting over a hill in Pilanesburg, with wildebeests grazing in the foreground.


Zebras in a row.


Myself, Rebecca, Marisa (American), and Ayanda (South African) at the Hartbeespoort Dam.


Rhinos!!!

Just as a side thought, i was speaking with the african lady who runs the cafeteeria in our building on monday, i was telling her all about my desire to see the "Big Five" here in Africa and how seeing all the Rhinos at Pilanesburg was such an amazing experience (for me, it's probably common place for her). She asked me what the big five of Canada are. Canada doesn't really have a "Big Five" that draws tourists like the Lion, Rhino, Elephant, Buffalo and leopard do here in Africa. So it got me thinking, if Canada was to advertise its wildlife to tourists, what would comprise the Canadian Big Five?
So far i've got: the Bison, Grizzly Bear, Moose, Wolf and Mountain lion. Other options were the Polar bear, caribou, and elk. I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks? feel free to leave comments.
Rob.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Polar Bear
2. Loon
3. Moose
4. Schooner
5. Beaver
6. Maple Leaf

8:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but seriously,

1. Reindeer/Caribou
2. Polar Bear
3. Canada Goose
4. Moose
5. Beaver

8:29 AM

 
Blogger Alex said...

Hey Rob,

Thanks so much for the photos!! Little bit of withdrawl going on here. So pretty! Can't wait to post some photos on my blog of Brazil to make you jealous!

8:34 AM

 
Blogger partieweirdo said...

Hey Rob-in-da-hood!

Finally figured out that I had the wrong adress, but you will soon learn that now that i have found you, there is no escape. At least you mentioned me in your blog - Kieran only called me 'a tasty treat'. Boy, do I feel objectified.... Anyway, I'm linking you, so there. Love your blog buddy!

Ciao!!!

3:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home