An adventure is simply an inconvenience rightly considered.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Adventures in Kelowna

I don't have any pictures to show for the first 3 weeks i've been living here in kelowna. Erin was the one taking all the pictures and i haven't had the chance to steal them from her computer yet.

Anyways, i've also been quite busy with establishing a new life here in Kelowna. Since moving here i've been busy looking for work, learning how to career search, network, and meet people in the community. After all that, there is little time left for blogging.

However, now it is sunday evening, and i'm all alone at home want for things to do so i thought i'd share some of my stories with everyone. This weekend Erin left for Montreal for her Project Coordinator training with Katimavik. She will be gone for 5 months and i'll be here in Kelowna looking for work. Hopefully i'll have some bites on my hook by the time she gets back.

Luckily for me my cousin Marcus came down from Kelowna for a visit and mangaed to full the Erin void for a day or so. Well as best he could. :P
Not only was he in Kelowna for a few short hours before the excitment started. At a quarter to 12 a red Civic honda crashed into the front yard of the house that Erin and I are renting. The car, as best we could figure, was speeding down the road, lost control and skidded off the main road. He crossed the front drive of the neighbours house, hit a fire hydrant on it's right (passenger side) then swung 180 degrees and landed right-side up in the front yard, about 5-8 feet away from the house and about 2-3 feet away from the boat parked in the front of the house. for the local news write-up of the story, go here.

Damage to the house below us.


The Car in the front yard


Mudslide into the houses below.


The Hydrant


The flow path, after the water had been shut off.




Marcus and I tried to help, we filled a few sandbags and positioned them so that they would divert the water away from the house. However, soon after we got to work emergency crews, in conjunction with B.C. Hydro, managed to shut off the water. I did manage to get a video with my digital camera.


The flowing water managed to erode nearly all the soil away from the right side of the house, fill our patio and the back yard with a ton of mud, and flood the houses that are down the hill below us. The one house's back yard is completely covered in Mud and the basement flooded with about 2 feet of water.

After all was said and done there was little damage done to our house, there is a bit of moisture in our closet and the spare room that Darren and His family use, but other than that things are fine.

Marcus and I had a great time hanging out. we did a little shopping in the afternoon, then had diner and went to catch a movie downtown. We saw "into the wild."
It was a really awesome movie and i suggest people go and have a look at it. I feel it was really well acted and the direction and cinematography were done beautifully. (That is saying a lot considering i really dislike Sean Pen).

Today i dropped Marcus off at the bus depot and headed home to just chill. I cleaned up a bit, watched me some Avatar, and then made a few phone calls.

This week looks like it'll be promising. I have a temp job lined up for mon-wed, then thurs and fri can be dedicated towards the job search and networking. I passed my Blackjack dealers course last week and will be starting a part-time job as a Blackjack dealer. This on top of my Banquet serving job will keep me pretty busy for the next couple of weeks. so don't blame me if i don't update this thing again right away. but i will try to be more diligent in the future.

Marcus and I, Sunday Afternoon


Well i'd best be going. enjoy the videos, links, pictures and other media!
Rob.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Oh goodness, at least no one was killed unlike here in Montreal where 2 teens lost controlled and killed a 3 year old girl in the front yard of her daycare!

Give me a call when you get a chance, I want to hear all about your new jobs.

5:35 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Very interesting blog. Though, I am gone for 5 weeks, not 5 months... :P

6:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home